Friday, February 10, 2012

Animated Role Models

I've noticed a trend both in myself and the people around me. I can go throughout my day, have all the food and water I desire, have a roof over my head, and be provided with everything I need and a whole lot extra, yet still I want. I find myself lying down at night still just wanting more and more of something that I have already been provided with. I'm just like this living breathing black hole that no matter how much you give me, I'm not satisfied with it. I am always going to want more and more of everything. I never can just be completely satisfied with exactly what it is that I have. My Pastor tonight at dinner made a comment that really sunk in with me. He was saying that he really felt that the Lord was trying to say to him, "I have not called you to be a steward of what I have not given you. I have called you to be a steward of what I HAVE given you." What a beautiful beautiful statement. And I believe that is the commandment that God has given to us all. To be stewards of what He has given to us. Not to desire more and more, or to worry or be troubled with the things that He has not given us, but to be grateful
and glorify Him through our stewardship of His many blessings.

1 Peter 4:10
"As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

Luke 12:35-40
“Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning; and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding, that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately. Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

We have all been called to be servants of Christ and therefore should be good stewards of the gifts and responsibilities we have been given. I've mentioned recently and been doing alot of study about spiritual gifts, and the role they play in the edification of the Church. The verse from 1 Peter touches on that and how we are to be good stewards of the gifts which we've been given and to minister it to one another. The Son of Man is coming at an hour we do not expect, like a thief in the night. Blessed are the servants whom He finds watching and waiting for their Master to return. If as servants we spend too much of our times serving in roles and fulfilling responsibilities that our Master has not given to us, then will not be prepared when He returns.
The Lord has blessed each one of us with everything that we have. From the very life we live all the way down to the computer you're reading this on. Our time, money, spiritual gifts, relationships, belongings, they are all gifts, and all require our stewardship. And He has called us all to be good stewards of it. Not to groan and complain about it not being enough, because it is more than enough. But rather to be good and faithful stewards of all that He has supplied. So today just look around and realize all the many blessings you have and remind yourself that as receivers of these great gifts, we are called to be stewards of them as well. Maybe I was a bit repetitive in this one. I probably could have summed up "take care of what God has given us" in a paragraph. I apologize. But nonetheless. There it is.
Phineas and Ferb are doing it... Are you?

(If you're digging the Phineas and Ferb thing, this will make your day:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhIJS0eoUm0)

No comments:

Post a Comment