Friday, January 27, 2012

Where's the Rest?!




As some of you may know, as of tomorrow I will be moving out of my parent's house, and into my own place. As I was discussing this last night, I realized that I've lived here for about 7 and a half years now, and that reminded me of one of the stories about my all time favorite character from the Bible: David.

"1 In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked.
The LORD said, “Go up.”

David asked, “Where shall I go?”

“To Hebron,” the LORD answered.

2 So David went up there with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 3 David also took the men who were with him, each with his family, and they settled in Hebron and its towns. 4 Then the men of Judah came to Hebron, and there they anointed David king over the tribe of Judah.

As you're probably already aware, David was anointed to be king over Israel at a very young age. The Lord sent Samuel to Jesse, and chose Jesse's youngest son, David, to be king over Israel. However at this time, Saul was still the king. David eventually was brought under the service of Saul, killed Goliath, Saul got jealous of David, David and Saul have a falling out, and thats about as much of the story as I'm willing to fill you in on. If you can't fill in the details go read it!

Anyways, now that that's out of the way. David was anointed to be king, but that promise was in no immediate. He wasn't anointed and then BOOM king of all Israel. It was a long hard road for David to eventually fulfill that anointment. In the passage we read above, David is STILL not king of Israel! He is king over only the tribe of Judah. The rest of Israel is still under Ish-Bosheth. (Fun name to say. I know you're sounding it out in your head)

Now, why me moving brought this story to mind? I've been living here for around 7 and a half years. How long was David ruling in Hebron over the tribe of Judah?! That's right. 7 years and six months. After which he was finally made king over all Israel. Which MUST mean that when I move, I will be elected mayor of Chattanooga. It's just meant to be! Or maybe that's aiming too low. Maybe governor of Tennessee is a more realistic thought.

On a more serious note, having nothing to do with me moving or my hopes of political success, I can only imagine what David must think of all this. He is told from childhood that he will be king of all Israel. He waits all these years, fights battles, and struggles through life. Then one day what does he get? Judah. Just put yourself in David's shoes. You're promised to be king of Israel, then the day comes and the Lord gives you Judah?? It's kinda like "Oh hey! Thanks for Judah and all but uh.... What happened to the other 11 tribes I'm supposed to be king over?" It's like being promised a new car for a graduation gift, and them sending you pedal car. It's just not quite what you imagined it would be. I believe at this point I'd be a little frustrated. I mean I killed a giant, ran for my life, my own city was burned to the ground and my people wanted to kill me (didn't tell that story, maybe I'll tell it tonight), and I get one of the 12 tribes I'm supposed to be king of?

David had to be one patient man. He ruled over Judah alone for 7 and a half years before he was finally king over all Israel. Just another reminder of God's everlasting promises. You may not see them coming true or happening, and you may have to serve where you are for 7 and a half years before that promise is fulfilled, but it will happen. Remember to be patient with God's plans, and accept that His will is perfect. He knows His plan for you, and it will come to pass, but it will be on His time, and not ours. If all you have been given for now is one tribe, serve there with all your heart, all your soul, and all your might.

P.S.- Well, that one went a little bit of everywhere. Not really a full drawn out through. I apologize!

No comments:

Post a Comment